Monday

The Flood of '97: "I'm Sorry"-The Green River

Please, do not blame me for your pain that I have caused. I know not of what I have done. I am still but a gentle river. I meant no harm to your daughter or your son. I have no control over Nature’s wrath, therefore, I could not keep my boundaries from going astray, But if I could have the wish to take human form, I would do my part to help make it go away. I would gladly take any place you let me, And just like you I would sweat and break my back. I would help the needy, store the furniture, pack every prized Possession and carry each little sack. I would give, the same as all of you, My every ounce of energy, But since I am but just a river, all I can do Is hope that someday you’ll forgive me. Please, remember that once I gave you gentle waves On which you could boat on or swim in for your pleasure. I gave you fish that you took from my depths and River banks upon which to leisure. I can give to you those things once again If you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. If two simple words could take back all the wrong I have done, Then all that I can say is “I’m sorry.” This and all other works contained in this site are copyrighted©. No reproduction in any manner is permitted.

No comments: