Monday

Fond Memories of...

Peppermint Cake

add 1 tsp (or more to taste) to white cake mix and then bake per instructions

add 1 tsp (or more to taste) to white (or vanilla) frosting

Yes, you heard me right, peppermint cake. As far back as I can remember, mom has made this for me and my sister, Took, and we loved it. She would make it for us for our birthdays and color with food coloring and decorate it with those sugar candy decorations. Since my birthday was in July and Took's was in August (we were both born on the 9th day) we would celebrate our birthdays together somewhere in between and invite all of our friends over for the party. Mom had a house full of kids but she never minded. She loved them all. Our friends also loved the cake. Those were the good ol' days of smelling the cake as mom was baking it knowing that she saved us the scrapings of cake batter. My lil' sis and I would actually fight over it to try to get the most. Yum. As we grew up the cake was literally forgotten about until the other day when she was making a comment about how she was tired of the same cake flavors and wanted something different. That's when I rememberd the peppermint cakes she used to make. At that moment her face lit up and so did mine just thinking about how good it would be to taste it again. One night before I had got the cake eaten, my sis called to say that she would be coming over the next day. Mom told her about making the peppermint cake which resulted in a silent pause from Took. Then she exclaimed, "I remember those" and then proceeded to tell mom to give me the order to leave the cake alone and not to eat it all before she got there. To which my reply was she was younger than me and would not be ordering me to do anything especially when it came to that cake. I then said that I would eat the whole thing and there would be nothing left for her. Of course I wouldn't do that. One I love my sis and two I didn't want a stomachache. When Took came over, mom, CR, and Took all went shopping and had brought supper home. Naturally my lil' sis (who can eat like a pig and not gain a single pound) ate too much and was too full to indulge herself with a piece. So mom lovingly cut out a hunk of it for Took to take home with her. I came home to a huge piece of my cake gone and mom told me what she had done. Thankfully she sent the middle home with my sister and left me the corners.

Later

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Liz, your windows blog wouldn't let me in for some darned reason, thank goodness you have this one!!!

I've missed reading your blog for about a week now. So sorry! I'm glad you are getting 'things' straightened out and if you need any moral support...or advice [I've been there too] drop me a line!

I'm working on my final exam this week and the grandkids are staying with me all weekend...at my house so I have to get it cleaned up!